Sydney now has a free bike routing application called Ride the City. Find a safe way to get from one point to another by bicycle. Ride the City is based on Open Street Map, the volunteer effort to map the world and to create a publicly owned map.
Ride the City is available in 40 cities and here are a few of the application’s highlights:
- Click and drag start/stop icons to the map for easy routing (or enter a start/end address)
- Choose bike routes that maximize bikeways, includes some bikeways, or choose the most direct route
- Get turn by turn directions that show you which streets have bike lanes or bike paths
- Login (for free) and you can save and share routes
- Find nearby bike shops and rentals easily
- Send your bike route turn by turn directions to your cell phone by SMS
- Submit feedback to help improve routing, or just edit Open Street Map yourself
- Download the Ride the City iPhone app or Android app for easy, on-the-go routing.
To learn more about Ride the City features, check out their image-filled frequently asked questions: FAQs.
Aside from the Ride the City bike routing application, Ride the City has a simple to use, no frills bicycle job board called Biking Jobs for anyone who wants to post or find a bike-related position.